Skip To Content


Frequently Asked Questions About

Jefferson County Preschools

As your family prepares for transitioning out of early intervention services we hope you will find the following general information helpful.  If you have other questions please contact the Child Find team that will be conducting your child’s evaluation.

  • Are all children who received early intervention services eligible for preschool/special education services?

     The school district uses eligibility criteria.  Children must meet all of the criteria to

      be eligible for Special Education services.     


  • When do I register for preschool?  Where can I register my child for preschool?  Should I wait to register until I find out if my child will qualify for Part B/Special Ed. Services?  Where will my child go to preschool and can I go visit that one? 

    Preschool registration for the following school year begins in January.  Parents must create a Jeffco Connect account and then may participate in the choice enrollment process in Enroll Jeffco (see the Early Learning website for additional information).  If your child has gone through Child Find, a Jeffco Connect account has already been created.

  • Should I register at my home preschool?

        Because Jefferson County does not have a preschool in every elementary school,  

        Preschool sites are not considered home/neighborhood schools.  All preschool enrollments   

        are choice.


  • Can I go visit any preschool to see what it is like? 

    Parents may visit a preschool.  To set this up, please contact the nearest preschool or the Early Learning Office at 303-982-1737.

  • How many times a week will my child go to preschool? 

    4 days a week (Tuesday – Friday with the exception of Rose Stein PK that students attend Monday-Thursday) / 3 hours per day to access a Free and

    Appropriate Public Education (FAPE)



  • Is there a Montessori preschool option in Jefferson County for children who are eligible for Part B/Special Ed. Services?  Is there a charter option in Jefferson County for children who are eligible for Part B/Special Ed. Services?

        Placement in charter schools is a separate process from Jefferson County Special

        Education and the Office of Early Learning.  For information on charters,

        contact the Charter School Office at 303-982-6730.


  • I have twins and want both to go to preschool even though only one is in EI.  Can they go to the same school?  Can they go to the same school but be in different classrooms? 

    Parents register in Enroll Jeffco and can choose to enroll both children in the same program and can mark their preference.

  • Is there a two-day a week option for my child? 

    All two day options have been eliminated.

  • I work during the day so is there an all-day option for preschool? 

    There are several sites that offer an full day or extended full day.  Tuition is prorated for students who qualify for an IEP. 

    The IEP team determines if the child’s needs can be met in a full / extended day program and parents are asked to complete Eligibility Guidelines.

  • Is there as summer option for my child to attend since he/she turns 3 yrs. in the late spring?

    There are no special education services offered through the summer, however parents may explore therapeutic service through their private insurance.

  • Does my child have to be potty trained to go to preschool? 

    Children are not required to be potty trained.

  • Will people know my child was receiving special education services in preschool?

    Any information regarding an IEP is a part of the student’s confidential record protected under Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and is shared only on a need to know basis.

  • I am concerned about my child being developmentally behind other children.  What will support look like for my child? If the child is eligible for Part B, will preschool meet the therapy needs?

     Jefferson County preschools have a continuum of support to meet a student’s individual needs and vary by site.  The type of support, amount of service minutes, and accommodations required are determined by the IEP team.  Early childhood special education teachers, speech language pathologists, occupational and physical therapists, and social workers are available.

  • What are the therapy options if my child is not eligible for Part B?

    Parents can work with their child’s physician and their insurance company to help find private providers.

  • Is physical therapy (PT) / occupational therapy (OT) available in preschool?  What is the difference between OT and PT in preschool?

    If it is determined by the IEP team that a child needs OT or PT services, an itinerant service provider works directly with the preschool staff and provides services in the classroom.

    PT service providers address mobility issues where a child cannot access the physical environment - significant concerns with balance, strength issues, and coordination that impact classroom navigation and educational access.

    OT service providers address fine motor, visual / perceptual, sensory processing, and self- help / adaptive skills.

  • Is there transportation for my child to get to school? 

    District Eligibility Guidelines are utilized by the IEP (Individualized Education Program) Team to determine if a student qualifies for specialized transportation.

  • What does DDRC offer if my child qualifies for Part B services/Special Education?

    The child is assigned a resource coordinator that the family can contact as questions and needs arise.  Some services options are Family Support, Children’s Medicaid Waivers and DDRC Behavioral Health.



  • What does DDRC offer if my child does not quality for Part B services?

        Children who are not eligible for Part B services are no longer eligible for DDRC



  • How is bullying in preschool addressed? 

    Activities in preschool focus on teaching students to self-regulate and build appropriate social -emotional skills to assist all children in learning the necessary skills for interacting positively with their peers.

    Complaints of bullying are taken seriously and addressed by the District.

    When necessary, the Student Discipline Procedures are followed.  All parents receive a copy of the discipline procedures at registration and must review the District Code of Conduct online.  They are asked to sign that they have reviewed both.

    There are times, too, that a Functional Behavior Assessment (FBA) and/or Behavior Improvement Plan (BIP) may be implemented.

  • My child has severe allergies.  My child has diabetes.  My child has difficulty eating / feeding issues.  How will these be addressed in preschool?

A District Registered Nurse can be a part of any IEP meeting that includes health concerns for a child.  Before beginning a preschool program, a Health Care Plan will be created as appropriate and staff will be trained on the procedures for each individual child’s health needs. 

Other related service providers will be consulted as seen fit.

If you would like to download a copy of these questions please click here

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2021 Intrado Corporation. All rights reserved.